Breaking up with the world

Hello everyone! Here in Rock Hall, Maryland, we’re finally getting a chance to update you about our first few weeks on the water. Basically we left Philly, went down the Delaware to the Chesapeake/Delaware Canal, stopped in Chesapeake City, and have been very slowly exploring the Northeastern Chesapeake Bay since then. We’ve broken up with “the world”; that is, the world of working a job and living in one place. But it’s misleading, because really we’re off to see “the world”.

Since it would be a lot to try to describe everything that’s happened in the last two weeks, I’m trying a new narrative style for this post; it’s called lots of pictures with descriptive captions in chronological order. We’ve been slowly getting our sailing act together, learning a lot each day. It’s hard to take pictures while actually sailing, so most of these are just places we anchored and visited.

I’m assuming it will be acceptable since I have an inkling that not all this rambling text gets absorbed anyway….

Some of our pictures got lost, so we will update if we get them back. here we go!


Us leaving Philly, courtesy of our friend Liz. That’s the Ben Franklin bridge.


Slightly farther down the Delaware.


First sunset of the trip, off of New Castle, Delaware on the Delaware River. After some stressful moments resulting from me not knowing what I’m doing, we got the anchor down and the boat out of the way of container ships.


More New Castle.


Kasy in Chesapeake City. We were relieved to get out of the Delaware and into the C&D canal, where Chesapeake City is. There is a free dock and protected anchorage basin here.


Me at the dock in Chesapeake City. This is a pretty cute place to hang out for a couple of days, and there were a lot of people from Philly who had come down for the weekend to escape the papal visit. We made some awesome new friends, Andy and Sarah, who brought down their boat Schrappy from Philly. If only we had known they were there earlier!


Chesapeake city boat pizza: pita bread filled with tomato sauce, topped with tomato sauce and cheese, and cooked in the broiler. (We don’t have an oven.)


Happy camper.


Most of our pictures from the few days preceding this are missing, unfortunately. But after leaving Chesapeake City, we anchored in the mouth of the Sassafras River. This was the foggy, cold, drizzly morning we left for Georgetown, which is at the end of the Sassafras.


Stout on her mooring ball at Georgetown Yacht Basin, where we were stuck for 5 days waiting for hurricane Joachin to go away. For the record, Georgetown is not really a real town… i.e. there is no grocery store. All but 4 houses were destroyed during the war of 1812 and now there are three marinas and two restaurants and not much else.


They did have an awesome boat supply shop at Georgetown Yacht Basin, however, with free coffee and tea and donuts for people staying at the marina. We hung out there as much as possible.


This describes the weather most of the time during our stay.


So we did mostly this. One day we couldn’t even leave the boat to row into the dock, because of the wind and rain.


Our plant and some condensation.


One day when the weather was less bad, we walked to a neighboring town, called Galena, where there was an awesome produce stand with the most beautiful squashes.

Galena also held another great surprise in store for us: our new friend Donna Lemm. We met Donna at the post office, and when she found out we lived on a boat she offered us immediate and generous hospitality. It turns out that she and her former husband built the boat in this picture and sailed it around the world for 20 years. The boat is Le Papillon, a 68-foot steel hulled pinky schooner. Needless to say, Donna had incredible stories.


This is Elvis the rooster. Donna introduced us to him when she showed us around the barn where she takes care of her horse.


Kasy and Elvis.


We also got to groom a beautiful horse that day. You never know what life will bring you.


Kasy rowing Hell’n, our dinghy, during a rare warm day in Georgetown.


After 4 days in Georgetown we couldn’t take it anymore, so we hitchhiked to Chestertown, which was 14 miles away. To my great surprise, we got picked up twice within 30 minutes. Chestertown was awesome, and they have a used book store and a real coffee shop, and all sorts of other stores that sell things like the thing in this picture.


What most buildings look like in Chestertown.


There are these huge rhododendron trees everywhere.


When the weather FINALLY cleared up, we sailed away. After practicing tacking for a few hours, we anchored just around the corner from the Sassafras River in Still Pond. What a beautiful place.


Kasy at Still Pond


Still Pond sunset


And more rowing around Still Pond. It was so gorgeous here.


Last one I promise


Leaving Still Pond… you can see our new hydration strategy: keep full water bottles swinging around on deck so you get annoyed, drink the water, and throw the bottle down below.


One of these mornings Kasy noticed that there were TINY LITTLE SEEDLINGS that sprouted up next to our plant!!! We don’t know what they are or what they’ll turn into but we will keep you abreast of any exciting developments!


You can see them better here! They are just hanging out, reaching for the sun! So cute


The next night we anchored in Worton Creek, a very protected anchorage with a tricky entrance. Here I am sailing the dinghy around in the morning, looking for wildlife.


I know, all of these places look the same. Honestly I don’t know which one this is.


The next night we anchored in Fairlee Creek, which has another crazy entrance, you have to head straight for the beach and then turn sharply to starboard in order to avoid going aground. It was worth it!


Fairlee Creek had this awesome little sandbar with some woods on it and a small patch of beach, full of beautiful round colorful stones.


Relaxing on the beach with a huge bag of popcorn.


Looking tough


Sunset at Fairlee Creek beach.


I know you didn’t think we were capable of awkward beach selfies, but we are.


Sunset and cooking dinner in Fairlee Creek.


Stout tied up to the free dock in Rock Hall, where we are now.


Sunset in Rock Hall.

Some other highlights I didn’t get pictures of… I ate a bowl of delicious crab soup. We saw a bald eagle in Still Pond, and even saw it diving into the water to catch fish. We’ve seen great blue herons, lots of ducks, turkey vultures, and an OTTER in Fairlee Creek. Yes, an otter! We must work on our wildlife photography.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Breaking up with the world

  1. Dad and Joan says:

    Wow Guys! This is so interesting and we really appreciate the pictures and detail. It sounds and looks like you guys are living large and having the adventure of your lives with the best yet to come.

  2. Adam says:

    I’m still hoping to run across you guys at some point. Today (Saturday) I am headed to Solomons Island, which will likely be my southern terminus for this vacation cruise, and I’ll start heading North up the bay on Monday. Fingers crossed we’ll run across each other.

    In the meantime, I spent the past few days anchored off of St. Michaels. I’d now suggest that as a destination. I anchored on the Southern side on the San Domingo Creek (Choptank River), instead of the more popular northern side. It was a snug, quiet anchorage near an interesting town. I did have to row about 3/4 of a mile to the public wharf/park/bulkhead; but it was an easy row. This is also in the vicinity of Oxford and Cambridge, so if you decide to head to either or both of them, St. Michaels is not far away.

    If you make it to town, the Maritime Museum is worth a visit ($15/adult). I’m not a “shops” person; but they had several that might be interesting. They also have a brewery which is worth a visit. $10 for a flight of five locally brewed beers. Yummy. I don’t really do towns all that well and visit often just for some provisions, a meal off the boat, and some conversation with new people. But certain towns have a feel that I like. St. Michaels qualifies.

    If you think we might be in the same general area, you can try calling me on the VHF, or probably better, on my cell at 240-285-2968 or hit me at adam(at)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s