We haven’t written in a fair while, but it’s because it is now crunch time and we have been channeling our inner Captain Crunch. I am getting ready to move on board the boat next week, so we’ve been trying to finish all the interior projects and spatial organization. And now that it’s warm, Kasy has been jumping on the outdoor projects like he’s excited to go on some sort of voyage or something ridiculous like that!
There are a few things that have gotten done in the past month, since I last wrote. For that reason, I’m going to blog about these projects in several installments over the next few days.
To start, there was the bowsprit repair. Back in November, we attempted to get out of the marina and go sailing on the Delaware, which is a little bit like that old computer game where you try to move the little man across the street without getting run over by a truck. The current was strong, and long story short the current overpowered us and we ran into one of the concrete walls on the side of the marina. Luckily, the only thing that broke was a wooden piece on the end of the bowsprit, which ends up acting as a fender when the boat hits something head on. We were able to salvage that piece before it floated away, and we discovered that it had previously snapped off and been poorly reattached. Our task was to reattach it again to the bowsprit.
Kasy took the entire bowsprit off the boat and strapped it to the bike trailer to bring it up to the studio for repairs. It was quite a sight for Philadelphia residents. You can see that at the end of the wooden part of the bowsprit there is a bronze piece, and it looks like something is missing from that end. That’s where the end piece broke off.
To re-attach the fender, Kasy’s idea was to join the two pieces back together with both epoxy and a dowel for extra strength. While I held the thing steady, he drilled large holes for a round dowel to attach the pieces together. This was no easy task, given that he had to find the center of both pieces and drill the hole at the exact same angle into both so that they would align correctly.
Aligment was made slightly easier by the fact that everything was also slathered with thickened epoxy, which created some wiggle room. (You can thicken epoxy with baby powder!) Since it’s gelatinous and doesn’t set immediately, the epoxy allowed us to move the fender and the bowsprit into alignment.
Eyeing up the ‘sprit as it cures. here is what it looks like with the reattached wood.
Then, Kasy stripped all the varnish off and put several coats of white paint on the entire bowsprit, to keep the wood protected. After several days of running up to the studio to sand and paint, sand and paint, the bowsprit was strapped onto the trailer and rolled on home.
“It looks GREAT!”
Next, we’ll take you on a journey to the boat interior. The picture you see below shows an empty space right next to the settee and right underneath the boat’s cockpit. There is an identical space on the other side of the boat. We thought: we love bags, why not make a bag or two to go under there? So we did.
You can see Kasy’s pattern drawing on the hull.
So I’m terrible at this, and yet again I got caught up in the moment and forgot to take a bunch of pictures so you can see how this was done. So I did a quick drawing and had some artistic fun, and hopefully this will suffice for people who are curious. Also, my favorite part of this bag is probably the front pockets, so here’s a closeup of one of those, snap not yet added.
Because that might be hard to read, here’s the drawing split into two parts.
On the left, Mr. Baggs, all sewed up and complete but looking pretty sad without a home. To install the bags, Kasy attached 4 hoops to the boat where the four corners of the bag would go, and we just tied the grommets to the hoops to hang them.
We are thinking of using these bags for objects that are flexible and easily stuffed into spaces, like extra sails, blankets, tarps, etc. This is because the bags are oddly shaped, so they wouldn’t be good for, let’s say, books. This is also the reason we didn’t make the bags super easy to detach from the ceiling… because we won’t need to. Here’s the bag on the other side, and a view of the whole deal from above.
Okay folks, thats all for now! I will add many more things in the days to come.