We’ve been making lots of stuff lately, because we had a brief period of underemployment. But being industrious folk, we had to put our minds to something. Tonight I will delve into some of our recent sewing projects. Sewing projects on the boat are super great, because they happen quickly.
Firstly, I made a tool pouch for handy things:
I failed miserably at taking detailed photos of the construction of this piece. To narrate the process, I made the back of the pouch first out of two layers of canvas sewn together, with about a 1″ seam to reinforce the grommets. I took all the objects that needed to fit into the pouch and traced their shapes on that back piece, and also measured their depths. Based on that, I cut canvas for the pockets and laid each pocket on top of its respective item, shaping them and pinning them onto the back piece. I sewed the pockets on on one by one and reinforced the thickest parts by hand. I know this may be incomprehensible. I promise more pictures next time.
Next, the laundry bag! When Kasy was a bachelor he made two canvas bags for laundry that hung on hooks in the forcabin. This was fine for one person, but they get in the way a lot now that there are two. We came up with the idea to cut a piece off of a cushion that really wasn’t useful, and to use that space for a new bag (you can see this in the picture below).
The bag had to hang down from the ceiling and fit in the little white triangle-ish space shown in the right-hand picture above.
After cutting the cushion with a kitchen knife, Kasy took it to the studio and modified the old cover to fit the cushion’s new shape. The left picture above shows the ripped open seams, and the right picture shows the newly repaired cover complete with snap closure.
A lonely completed cushion on the studio floor has finally found its home.
Here you can see the beginning of Kasy’s pattern for the wierdly shaped bag. And looks like there is a shoe print on it too. Kasy’s pinning the bag together and trimming the seams.
After the first sewing day and dry fitting in the awkward space. The bag is definitely taped to the ceiling here. We haven’t installed it yet with hardware.
The completed bag shown above. Kasy added a row of grommets around the top and wove a rope through them to tie the bag up. And for shits and giggles, a pocket on the outside.
UPDATE: Kasy added some brick shit house adjustable backpack straps AND grab handle onto the back of the laundry bag… for easy transportation!
Next project: the chain locker divider! We wanted to make something to keep debris from the anchor chain from falling onto the forward berth, otherwise known as our bed.
Laying out the pattern for the cover.
Here is the cover getting snaps and grommets, and then installed in the lowered and raised positions.
Next project: the seat belt!
So once upon a time, Kasy had this spare backpack strap that he never used. However, he kept it because he knew it would be useful. And then it was: he used it to make a strap for the galley, so that when the boat is heeled over, you can still cook without having to constantly hold yourself upright.
On the left, you can see the strap with all plastic hardware. We wanted to replace the plastic with stainless hardware to make it seaworthy. So Kasy undid the seams, replaced the hardware, and sewed the seams back up. On the right you can see the full transformation.
So you can stand in front of the stove and lean back against the adjustable belt. When you’re not using the belt, you can just clip it on the side, as you can see in the picture on the right.
Finally: the LEE CLOTHS!
This is decidedly our saltiest project of the month. Lee cloths keep people from rolling off of the quarter berths in their sleep while under way.
Again we did a bad job documenting the sewing process of this one. They are basically just rectangles that I sewed with 1″ seams to allow for grommets in the top two corners. Kasy put snaps on the bottom edge to attach them to the settees. They are tied to strapeyes on the bulkheads. We even spliced the ropes holding them up, and I plan to whip the ends soon. And they have pockets for shits and giggles.